Office of Legal Services Innovation
SANDBOX PARTICIPANT APPLICATION
The Sandbox is for innovative services models that cannot otherwise be offered under the present Rules of Professional Conduct or are considered the unauthorized practice of law. There are a few qualifications to this mandate:
- The Sandbox is for all business and service models falling under Utah Rule of Professional Conduct 5.4 and Utah Supreme Court Standing Order No. 15.
- Suspended or disbarred lawyers are barred from holding an ownership interest of greater than 10% in any Sandbox entity.
- The Sandbox is not meant to be a mechanism by which out-of-state lawyers can practice in Utah without otherwise completing the requirements imposed by the Utah State Bar.
- The Sandbox does not and cannot impact requirements imposed by other applicable Utah or federal laws, the laws or requirements imposed by other jurisdictions, or the requirements imposed by other regulatory bodies. Authorization to practice law in Utah through the Sandbox does not release any entity or individual therein from conforming to all other applicable laws and regulations.
- As made clear in Rule 5.4 and Standing Order No. 15, lawyers working with or in entities participating in the Sandbox are required to maintain their duties under the Rules of Professional Conduct.
Your application will be made publicly available. You will have the opportunity to make a claim of business confidentiality for specific information that would qualify for protection under GRAMA Section 63G-2-305. Making false or materially misleading statements in this application is a basis for loss of authorization to practice within the Sandbox. Other criminal and civil sanctions may also apply.
Should your answers to any of the application questions change, you are responsible for updating the information with the Innovation Office. Failure to promptly update information will be considered relevant to your regulatory status.
If you have any questions, please contact the Innovation Office at email@example.com.